Summer is coming at us quickly-can you believe we are almost halfway through 2019 already? This time of year is exciting as the summer plans rev into high gear. It’s also one of the most hectic times outside of the holiday season! We have weddings, graduations, and first vacations of the year for many people.
In the middle of all this busyness, it’s easy to lose track of a few simple things around the house that can make a big difference.
Here’s a short “get your home ready for summer” reminder checklist:
- Have your air conditioning unit checked! Before the dog days set in, it’s a good idea to call your Heating and Air Conditioning company and schedule a maintenance check. The hottest days are coming and those are also the times when A/C repair people are swamped with emergencies as overloaded systems break down.
- Ceiling fans. Did you know that it conserves energy to set your fans on the counter-clockwise setting during summer months? If you haven’t been using your fans as much during the winter and spring months, now would be a good time to clean them and make sure they are ready to help keep you cool.
- Change the setting on your water heater. You can turn the temperature setting down on the water heater to lower your energy bills in summertime. Warmer temperatures mean that your heater doesn’t need to work so hard to keep the water perfect for showers when it’s hot outside.
- Check your patio and deck for safety hazards. You might find loose boards and railings, protruding nails, or other things that are simple to repair-and avoid painful accidents as you and your family enjoy the outdoor spaces again.
- Need insulation? It could be time to make a long-term investment in better insulation. This can help to keep your home cooler in the summer and warmer when it’s cold outside again. The savings in your energy bills pay off over time, making this a smart move if you haven’t thought about what’s in your attic for a while.
- Is it time to install better window coverings? Once again, this investment in blinds and drapery can make your home more beautiful to live in and help lower your energy bills.
You may find other things that have been waiting for attention as you take a few minutes and walk around your home. Is it time for new siding or windows? Does your roof need repair? Now that the weather is getting friendlier, it’s a great time to make plans for these upgrades.
Several of these items may cost real money. If you have been putting these upgrades off for a while because of financial considerations, it may be time to come and talk with me about your lending options.
Whether it’s a new deck, an expensive A/C system upgrade, or maybe a brand new addition on your home, I’m here to help! I partner with some great local contractors and vendors as well as lenders who can assist you with your home needs. As always, I am here to serve as your friend in the real estate business. Please feel free to drop me an email or a phone call any time!
Presented by Leilani Powell of HBMII, INC.
-Courtsey of Directors Mortgage